Under the Patronage of H.E. Sheikh Abdullah Bin Nasser Bin Khalifa Al Thani, the Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior
Diabetes represents a growing challenge for countries around the world. The International Diabetes Federation estimates that 422 million people live with Diabetes today and that this figure will reach 592 million by 2035.
The GCC region features high rates of Diabetes prevalence. The prevalence of Diabetes in the State of Qatar currently stands at 16.7% of the adult population and an additional 5.8 % are considered pre-Diabetic and at a very high risk of developing Diabetes. It is expected that Diabetes prevalence in the State of Qatar will rise if nothing is done.
To help facilitate and support the National Diabetes Strategy from plan to implementation, Qatar Diabetes Leadership Forum will be held on 26th and 27th of September to discuss and agree on the ambitions, priorities, solutions and actions for improving Diabetes prevention, care and reverse the trend of the Diabetes epidemic in Qatar.
The Forum will be a platform on which the strategic plans can be discussed and improved by world renowned subject matter experts in each of the areas of relevance. This forum will build on the lessons from the previous leadership forums held in New York (2007), Moscow (2008), Beijing (2009) and MENA (Dubai 2010), Copenhagen (2012), and Istanbul (2013).
- Putting the health, economic, financial and social Burden of Diabetes on the political agenda; highlight the size of the issue and establish the baseline from which the strategy will be implemented.
- Driving the National Diabetes strategy 2016 - 2022 to a successful implementation phase. Discussing the strategy with international experts; learning from the experience of world leaders in similar roles and paving the way for a successful implementation phase in Qatar.
- Discussing how to support the rollout of the National Diabetes strategy 2016 - 2022 through cross sector public-private and public-public partnerships that are crucial to the successful fight against Diabetes. Government ministries, organizations from society, academia, communities, businesses and industry need to stand together to overcome and support the fight against Diabetes.
- Formation of a Diabetes Alliance which brings all of these ministries and organizations together and provides a central point for coordinating activity and ensuring support for the implementation of the National Diabetes Strategy best practice.
- An output report to the Ministry of Public Health and the National Diabetes Committee of recommendations for how best to implement the National Diabetes Strategy based on discussions with International experts at the Forum.
- Agreed principles for the Diabetes Alliance and any partnership arrangements that will facilitate delivery of the National Diabetes Strategy e.g. the objectives, roles and responsibilities and the duration of commitment.
- The formation of a Diabetes Alliance which has mustered the broader support from government ministries, society, businesses and organisations to take responsibility in the joint effort of preventing Diabetes in The State of Qatar and supporting the implementation of the National Diabetes strategy 2016 - 2022.
Who should attend:
The forum will gather high level delegates from the GCC countries including policymakers, Key Opinion Leaders, academia, healthcare decision makers, healthcare leaders & representatives of patient organizations from Qatar and the GCC countries.
Ritz Carlton, Doha